Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Painting an old decorative metal ceiling, used a coat of primer and rust is bleeding through...reprime?

spray shellac on the bleeding two light coats prime paintPainting an old decorative metal ceiling, used a coat of primer and rust is bleeding through...reprime?
Rust is tricky. Many many methods have been tried in restoration with varied success. I have had success with the following.





1. Polyurethane spray or brushed on


2. Kilz paint as a primer


3. Sanding it off which would be tricky on a tin ceiling I would use mask goggles ect.





There is a product I'm going to try for a badly rusted old Porcelain on cast iron sink that has been recommended to me.





http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html?鈥?/a>





Anyway good luck on this...how large of an area is rusted? I may have another suggestion if I know how much rust you're looking at.Painting an old decorative metal ceiling, used a coat of primer and rust is bleeding through...reprime?
We scrubbed the rust off our barstools with crumpled aluminum foil and it really works. You should sand or buff it all off and start over because the rust will continue to spread.
Check out a paint called ';Kilz'; for covering stains and, I think, rust.

No comments:

Post a Comment